Eagle Lake (an off-channel reservoir) is located on the south side of Eagle Lake township in Colorado County, Texas, on Moores Branch, a tributary of the Colorado River. The lake is owned by the Lakeside Irrigation Company, Inc. and is operated/used by Lower Colorado River Authority for irrigation and as a "surge tank" for temporary water storage.
Construction of the dam started in 1899 and was completed in 1900 with impoundment beginning in that year. The dam is an earthfill embankment of 5,300 feet long with a height of about 6 feet. The lake has a capacity of 9,600 acre-feet encompassing a surface area of about 1,200 acres at the conservation pool elevation 170 feet above mean sea level. The dam controls a drainage area of only 20 square miles. Water is pumped from the nearby Colorado River when excess flow is available.
A focal point for early Texas settlers, Eagle Lake has appeared on maps dating back as early as 1821. The lake and the land around it has passed through many owners and developers through the decades.
The first rail roads reached Eagle Lake in 1859 establishing a station between Harrisburg and Austin. With later destinations reaching throughout Texas and the west, Eagle Lake became an accessible spot for crops and gravel. During the Civil War, Captain William Dunovant began raising sugarcane and built a mill at Lakeside on the eastern shore of the lake. The mill was eventually sold in 1913, however rice cultivation flourished as did sand and gravel mining just west of the lake. Today, Eagle Lake is known more for its recreational activities such as fishing and goose hunting.
View Eagle Lake - Past to Present